The facelift version of the XUV500 is expected around next year. The Indian UV maker is looking at introducing this to enhance its numbers. New products like the Tata Hexa, Toyota Innova Crysta and Jeep Compass have negatively affected the sales of the Mahindra flagship SUV. Mahindra has taken note of this and before the facelift comes into the market, they have introduced a new variant – W9.
The W9 variant is priced at ₹ 15.4 lakhs (ex-showroom, Delhi). It is positioned between the W8 and W10 variants. The W9 variants draws in a few features from the W10 variant. Thus, Mahindra is offering a more feature loaded variant at an affordable price point.
Veejay Ram Nakra, Chief of Sales & Marketing – Automotive Division, Mahindra & Mahindra, said, “Since its launch in 2011, the XUV500 has been a pioneer in providing innovative hi-tech features that are not available even in vehicles that are almost double its price. We are certain that the introduction of these hi-end features at such a competitive price point will generate a lot of interest amongst prospects who are evaluating SUVs in the price range of ₹ 14 lakhs to ₹ 18 lakhs . By introducing these aspirational features at this price, XUV500 has raised the bar once again.”
The Mahindra XUV500 W9 variant is available in both manual and automatic transmissions. It will come with same 2.2-litre mHawk diesel engine. This 2179 cc diesel mill churns out around 140bhp of power and a torque of 330Nm. Transmission options include a 6speed manual gearbox and an 6speed automatic from Aisin, Japan. Mahindra will be also launching a new updated diesel engine with its facelift. This new diesel engine will be producing about 170bhp of power
2017 Mahindra XUV500 W9 Features
- Electric sunroof
- Reverse camera with dynamic assist
- Ecosense Technology
- 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Android Auto
- Keyless entry
- Push-button start-stop
- Emergency call function
- Dual airbags
- ABS with EBD
- ESP with Rollover Mitigation
2017 Mahindra XUV500 Price in India
|Mahindra XUV500 2017 Price|
|Variant||Price (on-road, Mumbai)|
|W4||₹ 15.1 lakhs|
|W6||₹ 16.7 lakhs|
|W6 AT||₹ 17.7 lakhs|
|W9||₹ 18.4 lakhs|
|W8||₹ 18.8 lakhs|
|W9 AT||₹ 19.7 lakhs|
|W10||₹ 19.8 lakhs|
|W8 AWD||₹ 19.9 lakhs|
|W8 AT||₹ 20.1 lakhs|
|W10 AT||₹ 20.9 lakhs|
|W10 AWD||₹ 21.1 lakhs|
|W10 AWD AT||₹ 22.3 lakhs|
The W9 variant sits between the W8 and W10 variants. This makes XUV500 much better value for money. In Mumbai the W9 manual costs ₹ 18.4 lakhs and the W9 automatic is priced at ₹ 19.7 lakhs.
Recent Updates to the Mahindra XUV500
On the other hand, the Indian utility vehicle manufacturer shall be offering a new brown colour as well. This will be an all new colour and the interiors will be black majorly. So, the current interior colour trim is black and beige, with even the seats being beige. The seat fabric/upholstery shall now be black. If this isn’t enough, the XUV500 buyers will even get lane change assist as a new feature. What’s more? Anyone who has purchased the new-updated XUV500 (since 2015), will also be eligible to update their current music systems through the dealership.
So, the upgrades are different for different variants. For instance, there won’t be Android Auto on the W4 model, but the buyer of this model can definitely add lane change assist. The price for software upgrade for all customers is INR 599 + taxes. This will be offered on all the new Mahindra XUV500 models.
The XUV500 was certainly launched with a Sportz model. This is the same one that was offered even previously on the SUV. The new generation also got this. The news of IntelliHybrid for the XUV500 will not happen anytime soon. Mostly, it won’t happen anymore as FAME has discontinued the price advantage that was offered on mild hybrid systems. So, the Ciaz, Ertiga and even the Scorpio shall not be benefitting from this system. This new system will enhance the production cost and now even impact the pricing of the XUV500. So, Mahindra will be offering the regular micro hybrid system on the XUV500.
The only other product that Mahindra had recently updated was the KUV100, which did get some additional features on it. Read other detailed review on the XUV500. The price of the new XUV500 W6 variant starts at INR 13.6 lakhs (ex-showroom, Navi Mumbai). We will take some time to get the latest on-road pricing of this and other variants.
These new Hi-tech features enhance connectivity, provide more convenience, add safety and assist in optimizing fuel efficiency. The key features introduced include:
- Android Auto – This technology offers easy access to calls, messaging, navigation, music and Google search by connecting the user’s Android device with the infotainment system of the XUV500. Android Auto automatically pulls useful information from the user’s android device and organizes it into simple cards that appear just when they are needed on the infotainment system. It is designed keeping in mind the safety of the driver and the passengers. With a simple and intuitive interface, integrated steering controls and powerful voice actions, it is designed to minimize distraction and enable the driver to stay focused on the road.
- Connected Apps – The XUV500’s infotainment system now offers an industry-first feature – Connected Apps. Connected Apps provides a host of essential and exciting Apps like Gaana, Cricket Live, Zomato, Book My Show and others on the infotainment system. The user can access these apps through the infotainment system even if these are not available in the mobile device. This requires the user to connect the infotainment system with a wi-fi hot spot. Apps in the XUV500 provide India-specific entertainment, music, live cricket updates, flash news, and information on best restaurants, amongst others, all at the click of a button.
- Ecosense – An Industry first by Mahindra, Ecosense Technology helps in optimizing fuel consumption and reduces CO2 emissions by assisting the driver in driving more efficiently. For every trip, the user gets an Ecoscore out of 100, based on driving parameters like – speed, gear selection, acceleration, idling, clutch override and aggressive breaking. During the trip, the infotainment system keeps displaying an instantaneous Ecoscore and an average Ecoscore. Ecosense Technology allows the user to share his/her Ecoscore on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp. The user gets easy access to the Ecosense data and history on the infotainment system as well as on the Bluesense app and the With You Hamesha website.
- Emergency Call – E-Call in the XUV500 is a first-in-class feature that provides access to emergency services in the unfortunate event that airbags get deployed. This feature automatically calls the emergency service and also sends a text alert to 2 pre-set numbers through a paired mobile phone.
Also Read: Tata Hexa Price and Features
Detailed Review of the current SUV
Mahindra XUV500 Design
The front of the Mahindra XUV500 2017 has got an upgrade. A new grille with new headlamps that have a continuous LED line is seen here. There a lot of use of chrome which does make it look gaudy, but Indians do love chrome. Other than that the Mahindra XUV500 2017 does look stylish and the fascia looks more appealing if we minus the chrome.
The side profile hasn’t changed and is still he cheetah inspired design. The alloy wheels now have a new design. The XUV500’s tail lamps that had the tribal design have been removed.
Also Read: Honda BRV Price and Features
Mahindra XUV500 Interior
Get inside the cabin and the new trim in the Mahindra XUV500 2017 makes you feel pleasant. The new black and beige combination is a much better one than the earlier colour theme. There isn’t a major change in the interiors, there are the same oddly shaped AC vents, but that is where the styling cons end for us. The steering wheel is perfect in size and chunky enough to grip, the twin dials are easy to read. We like this, but there is no trip meter on the Mahindra XUV500 2017 and the driver information system is hidden deep into the centre console screen. There are a lot of buttons and this could get a bit confusing.
The touchscreen infotainment system has no lag but accessing some things could be a bit complicated. The front row seats are large and comfortable. They are one of the best seats around. The top-of-the-line gets electric seat adjustment and a new sunroof as well. The second row can seat three people in comfort with a flat floor and the third row is still ideal for kids. With the third row folded there is sufficient space for luggage, else it falls short on space.
Also Read: Hyundai Tucson – XUV500 Competition
Mahindra XUV500 Engine
The Mahindra XUV500 2017 is fitted with a 2.2-litre mHawk diesel engine that produces 138bhp of power and 320Nm of maximum torque. This comes mated to a six-speed transmission. Refinement is the hallmark of this engine. There is no vibration or any kind of noise from the engine in the cabin. The Indian Auto major has made a fantastic product. However, hasn’t done any change to the NVH of the Mahindra XUV500 2017 on the facelift.
The Mahindra XUV500’s drivability is good and you do not feel the need to shift gears often even in traffic as there is ample of torque available at most of the engine speeds. This is a major advantage of the Mahindra XUV500 2017. There are a couple of cons, the position of the clutch pedal is a little bit different and one needs to get used to it, and the gearshifts are still a bit rubbery.
Also Read: Toyota Innova Crysta Price and Review
Mahindra XUV500 Mileage
The change that has occurred is by the use of push start and stop system and kinetic energy regeneration system. The company claims that this contributes to the increased fuel efficiency of the engine. We got a fuel efficiency of 13km/l, which is a mix of city and highway driving. This isn’t a strong point for the XUV500. Then there is the micro-hybrid start and stop system for traffic as well. The Mahindra XUV500 2017 is well feature-loaded SUV.
New Mahindra XUV500 Specifications
|Front suspension||McPherson with Anti-Roll Bar|
|Rear suspension||Multilink with Anti-Roll bar|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||70 litres|
Mahindra XUV500 Ride and Handling
The Mahindra XUV500 2017 has a pliant ride and it doesn’t feel stiff or too soft at any point. This makes it good to drive even on bad roads. The ground clearance is sufficient enough to drive on roads with broken tarmac. The high-speed stability too is good enough on the Mahindra XUV500 2017. The steering weighs up well at high speeds however it does feel slack around the corners. The Mahindra XUV500 2017 has good handling ability and the chassis is capable of taking more power and torque as well. However, we think with the monocoque chassis, the ride quality could have been better.
Also Read: Honda Civic to make a comeback to India
If you are interested in buying the Mahindra XUV500 in Mumbai, Pune, Delhi, Hyderbad or Bengaluru, fill in your details below.
[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’City’ type=’text’/][contact-field label=’Mobile no.’ type=’text’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Time period to buy’ type=’select’ options=’one week,one month,more than three months’/][/contact-form]